What is a Postdoctoral Scholar?
A postdoctoral scholar at the University of Minnesota is an individual who has received a doctoral degree (or equivalent) and is in a temporary and defined period of mentored advanced training to enhance their professional and research skills.
What Types of Postdoctoral Opportunities Are Available?
At the University of Minnesota, there are two types of postdoctoral scholar appointments:
Postdoctoral fellow appointments are for persons receiving a fellowship or training award granting a stipend and allowing for advanced study or research. The University of Minnesota offers postdoctoral training programs in a variety of academic fields including biological sciences, health sciences, food, agricultural and natural resource sciences, and higher education (see list of opportunities)
Postdoctoral associates are academic employees who conduct research, teach, or provide service that enhances career skills or allows for opportunities to learn new research or teaching techniques. For information about postdoctoral associate opportunities at the University of Minnesota, please check with collegiate units or Human Resources.
What to Consider in Selecting a Postdoctoral Training Program
The Postdoctoral Handbook is a guide for incoming and existing Postdocs for navigating their time at the University of Minnesota.
President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship
The University of Minnesota has joined the University of California Partnership for Faculty Diversity to invite outstanding scholars interested in faculty and research careers.
The University of Minnesota is pleased to offer postdoctoral fellowship opportunities in disciplines represented at the university, coupled with faculty mentoring, professional development, and academic networking opportunities. For more information, click here.
Postdoctoral Training Programs at the University of Minnesota
- Cancer Related Health Disparities Training Program - NCI - Michele Allen
- Infectious Disease Training in Clinical Investigation - NIAID - David Boulware
- Integrative Training Program in Neuroimaging - NIBIB - Wei Chen
- Developmental Psychopathology - NIMH - Dante Cicchetti
- Musculoskeletal Training Grant - NIAMS - Denis Clohisy
- Regional Postdoctoral Training Grant in Eating Disorders Research - NIMH - Scott Crow
- Training the Next Generation of Chemical Biologists - NIGMS - Mark Distefano
- Training Program in Cardiac Innovation - NHLBI - Samuel Dudley
- Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology & Prevention - NHLBI - Aaron Folsom
- Immunology Training Program - NIAID - Kristin Hogquist
- Training in Lung Science - NHLBI - David Ingbar
- Minnesota Obesity Prevention Training (MnOPT) - NIDDK - Catherine Kotz
- Comorbidity: Substance Use Disorders and Other Psychiatric Conditions - NIDA - Matt Kushner
- Cancer Biology Training Grant - NCI - Carol Lange
- Minnesota Training Program in Virology - NIAID - Louis Mansky
- Comparative Medicine and Pathology Training - OD - Molly McCue
- Training Program in Translational Vision Sciences - NEI - Linda McLoon
- Neuroscience Training in Drug Abuse Research - NIDA - Paul Mermelstein
- Training in PharmacoNeuroImmune Substance Abuse Research - NIDA - Thomas Molitor
- Pre-Faculty Research Training in Pediatric Endocrinology - NIDDK - Antoinette Moran
- Training in Biostatistics for Heart; Lung and Blood Disease Research - NHLBI - Jim Neaton
- Healthy Weight Promotion in Youth and Families from Diverse Communities: Applied Epidemiology Training - NHLBI - Dianne Neumark-Sztainer
- Biostatistics in Genetics and Genomics Training Program - NIGMS - Wei Pan
- Stem Cell Biology Training Program - NIGMS - Rita Perlingeiro
- Using Computation to Achieve Breakthroughs in Neuroscience - NIMH - David Redish
- Training for Future Biotechnology Development - NIGMS - Claudia Schmidt-Dannert
- Training Grant in Diabetes; Endocrinology and Metabolism - NIDDK - Elizabeth Seaquist
- Medical Scientist Training Program - NIGMS - Yoji Shimizu
- Translational Pediatric Cancer Epidemiology Research Training Grant - NCI - Logan Spector
- Minnesota Muscle Training Program - NIAMS - David Thomas
- Multidisciplinary training in cardiovascular engineering - NHLBI - Robert Tranquillo
- Hematology Research Training Program - NHLBI - Gregory Vercellotti
- Interdisciplinary Population Health Science Training: Linking Multilevel Forces Across Time - NICHD - John Warren
- Training the Next Generation of Surgeon-Scientists in Pancreatology - NIDDK - Yamamoto Masato