What are the Judd Travel Grants?

The Walter H. Judd International Graduate and Professional Grants are designed to support the continued internationalization of the University of Minnesota by providing critical assistance to students enrolled in master’s and professional degree programs, and to increase opportunities for students to study, undertake internships, and conduct research projects abroad. The project proposed can be either something designed by the student or part of a pre-arranged curriculum or itinerary.

A primary goal of the grants is to increase exposure to other cultures. The program especially encourages applications from students who have never traveled abroad.

Funding for the grants is provided by generous gifts from the Walter H. Judd Fund, the Carol & Cliff Stiles Rainbow Fund, and the Judd Alumni Fellowship fund.


Judd Grant maximum amount: $2,500

Awards can be made for either of the following:

  • Research awards that support field research, archival research, or collaborative research and writing, or
  • Internship/study awards that support internships, language study, study abroad, or participation in an exchange, group seminar*, clinical experience, or practical training.

*Applicants participating in an organized group program must describe their individual goals or project. Judd Grants support group program participation in a University of Minnesota study seminar only if the applicant proposes a two-week independently arranged academic internship or research project following the group experience.


  • Students in good academic standing in a master’s research-based graduate program or in a professional degree program
  • Study, internships, and/or research projects that are taking place abroad
  • Students are eligible to apply if location of their proposed study, internship, or research project is Puerto Rico
  • Master's students (in research-based graduate programs) are ineligible if they have already received a Research Travel Grant; cannot receive RTG and Judd Grants simultaneously

Please note, grants must be disbursed during a term in which the travel is taking place and the recipient must be enrolled in at least one tuition-bearing credit in order to receive the funding. Tuition payment is a student responsibility as the Judd Travel Grant does not provide a tuition benefit.


Students apply directly through the electronic application form.


The submission deadline has passed and applications are currently under review. Recipients will be notified in mid-March 2024 of award decisions.


The applicant will upload a single PDF of the application materials in the following order:

  • Project Proposal, see details below
  • Budget Statement
  • Curriculum Vitae, see details below
  • Unofficial UMN transcript
  • IRB/IACUC Documentation, see details below
  • Two (2) letters of recommendation, not included in single PDF - letter writers will upload the letter individually to the application

Depending on the nature and location of your proposed research, you may need to submit additional application items. Please see the FAQ below for more details.

Required PDF title format: Last Name, First Name - Name of Graduate or Professional Program


Expand all



  • The project proposal should be a statement describing the research, study, or internship that you propose to pursue. You should substantiate your proposal with any academic or professional background relevant to conducting your project. This might include: prior language study, previous travel or study in the region, academic work or work experience, and any publications or presentations you have made. If you are applying to participate in an experience (internship, research, seminar, clinical rotation) that has a pre-arranged curriculum or itinerary, please indicate the name of the agency or institution that will be the sponsor and specify how the experience fits into your degree program. If you are designing your own research or study/internship, describe the background and qualifications that are required and how you meet those.
  • Maximum two-pages, single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins. 
  • Describe your research plan in terms that are accessible to a non-specialist. Avoid jargon. If jargon must be used, please define the language.


  • Maximum two-pages, single-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins.
  • Include previous degrees earned, as well as academic accomplishments & awards.


Please consult the IRB and/or IACUC webpages for additional information.

If your research involves Human or Animal Subjects, provide the date of IRB/IACUC approval and documentation of approval (1-2 pages).

If your project involves human or animal subjects but IRB/IACUC told you that approval is not needed then provide the email or letter stating this decision. If your Advisor has IRB/IACUC approval that covers this research project then provide that approval page (1-2 pages).

If your research does not involve Human or Animal subjects then submit the Human Subjects Statement (requires Advisor signature).

If your IRB/IACUC application is still pending, provide documentation to show the submitted request (1-2 pages). Once received, IRB/IACUC approval can be submitted directly to gsfellow@umn.edu. If awarded a Judd Travel Grant, funding is contingent upon proof of IRB/IACUC approval and/or decision.


Expand all


Do I need to obtain a language evaluation to conduct my research?

If you are conducting research in another language and you are not a native speaker of the language, you will need to obtain a language evaluation. Please email gsfellow@umn.edu for more information.

If you are a native speaker of the language, please include a signed statement indicating the language which will be used to conduct research and that you are a native speaker of that language. You may sign this statement yourself.

Do I need to obtain a letter of affiliation?

Depending on the nature and location of your proposed research, you may need a letter of affiliation.

A letter of affiliation demonstrates to faculty reviewers that, if selected to receive grant funding, you will be able to successfully carry out your proposed research. Reviewers are hesitant to approve funding if there is any doubt that the research can be successfully conducted.

If you are conducting research in a library archive, museum, or other public space, you can submit an email from an employee that verifies that you will have access to the required materials. If the archive/materials in question are available to the public, you can include a copy of the webpage highlighting the pertinent information.

If you have questions about a letter of affiliation, please email gsfellow@umn.edu.

Do I need a letter of affiliation to conduct surveys?

Yes, because you will want to provide proof to reviewers that you will be able to successfully conduct your proposed research. If you are conducting surveys, please provide documentation that demonstrates your ability to connect with the appropriate resources (e.g. community, business, and/or scholarly contacts).