What is the Distinguished Master's Thesis Competition?
The Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) solicits nominations in two of four categories that alternate every year.
In 2023, MAGS is seeking nominations for the Distinguished Master's Thesis Awards in the broad categories of Social & Behavioral Sciences and Mathematical, Physical Sciences, & Engineering.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION WINDOW?
The 2023-24 application window opens September 6, 2022 and the deadline to apply is October 14, 2022 at 12:00pm CST.
WHAT IS THE AWARD?
$500 honorarium and nomination to the MAGS’ annual Distinguished Master’s Thesis competition.
HOW DO I APPLY?
For Program Nomination, log in to the electronic nomination form.
A single PDF nomination file should include documents #1-3, in the following order:
1. One-page nomination letter, signed by the DGS.
2. 300-word abstract describing the research and its significance, including the thesis title and name of the author but not the name of the nominating institution.
3. Letter of support from the advisor.
Required PDF title format: Nominee Last Name, First Name - Program
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
- nominee is pursuing their first graduate research degree, regardless of discipline
- nominee must have been awarded the Master's degree between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2022
- nominee’s thesis is in the discipline of either Social & Behavioral Sciences OR Mathematical, Physical Sciences, and Engineering
- nominees who submitted original work "in lieu of thesis" (such as musical compositions, published books, works of art, computer software, etc.) are NOT eligible
- programs can nominate up to one (1) student
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate School Fellowships Office.