Fellowship Information for Staff and Faculty
If you have additional questions not answered by this page, contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office.
Non-Resident (NR) Waiver Program
Recipients of a university-administered fellowship that is managed by a college, program, or department within the University of Minnesota system are eligible for an NR Waiver.
To receive the waiver, program staff should email email@example.com and include student name, student ID#, and a copy of the award letter. Individual requests from students will not be accepted.
Retroactive requests are not accepted. If a department needs to make a retroactive request for an NR waiver, the department will fill out a Third Party Billing Authorization Form. Questions about retroactive requests for NR waivers can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please allow up to one week to review requests and apply an NR Waiver to a student record. Then, tuition calculations are run every Saturday.
Eligibility requirements for the fellowship:
- Awarded by a unit within the University of Minnesota system
- Minimum fellowship amount required for an NR Waiver in 2023-24 is $8,088/academic year or $4,044/semester
- Minimum fellowship stipend amount is determined by equivalency to the minimum rate for a 25% graduate assistantship per the Graduate and Professional Assistant classification minimum amount list on the Academic Salary Floors document
- Request must be made prior to the term or within the term in which the waiver will be applied
If a program/department is requesting an NR Waiver for 10 or more fellowship recipients then an excel spreadsheet must be submitted to email@example.com listing the student ID# and student name in columns, along with a link to a folder to review award letters.
Recipients of university-administered fellowships that are managed by the Graduate School (i.e. IDF, DDF, DOVE, NSF, Ford, GEM, Graduate School Endowed Fellowships) will have the waiver automatically applied. There is no additional documentation needed by the graduate student recipient and/or program.
Fellowships That Require Program Nomination
For fellowships that require program nomination, the program will submit the application materials through Formsite. Below are steps to set up your Formsite account(s) and manage application submission.
- Create a username/password to upload program nomination(s)
- If more than one staff person will be viewing/updating the nomination (e.g. DGS and GPC), be sure to create a username/password that can be shared.
- In the electronic nomination form, complete the required fields and upload any required documents. Select either SAVE/UPDATE or SUBMIT.
- SAVE/UPDATE - You will remain in the form and may continue editing.
- SUBMIT - You will exit the form. A nomination confirmation email will be sent to the DGS and to the support staff indicated on the electronic form.
- Both options will save the nomination, overwriting any previously saved/submitted information, and enable Graduate School staff to access the information.
- Both options will allow program staff to continue editing the nomination until the application deadline.
- Faculty reviewers will not view saved/submitted information until after the nomination deadline.
- To update existing an existing nomination, log in as “Returning User” to edit.
- Selecting SAVE/UPDATE button or the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the screen will save your nomination information, overwriting any previous information.
Faculty Review Committee
Graduate School Fellowships and Grants are reviewed by a Faculty Review Committee. While a fellowship review can be an intensive time commitment, the benefits of serving on a review committee include gaining a deeper understanding of the purpose of the fellowship and having the privilege to read outstanding applications and selecting award recipients.
The Graduate School invites UMN Faculty who have graduate program membership in one or more UMN Graduate Programs on the Twin Cities, Duluth, and/or Rochester campuses to submit interest in serving on a future fellowship review committee.