Graduate School / Admissions / Application Instructions / Official Transcripts & Credentials

Official Transcripts & Credentials

Official Transcripts/Credentials

Official transcripts/credentials are required after you are admitted to a graduate program. At the time of admission, your application checklist will indicate the specific credentials that we require from you.

It is your responsibility to request official transcripts/credentials from the required institution(s). 

University officials may contact institutions directly to verify official documents. If we are unable to verify the student's transcripts or credentials, the University reserves the right to drop the student from active status and may refer the matter to authorities. 

Please contact the Graduate School with questions about official transcripts and credentials.

How to Submit Official Transcripts From:

Official transcripts must be sent directly to the University of Minnesota Graduate School from the issuing institution. Do NOT send official transcripts to yourself first.

Use the following address:

Graduate School
University of Minnesota
Attn: Transcripts
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455

For credentials issued outside the United States, we require original language and English language versions.

University of Minnesota undergraduates (from any campus) should contact Graduate Admissions after the undergraduate degree has posted to the transcript.  Upon notification, Graduate Admissions will obtain the official transcript.

In some cases, Graduate Admissions is able to accept electronic transcripts sent directly by your institution.  If you wish to provide electronic transcripts, have your institution's Registrar send transcripts/credentials directly to through a secure, approved, document-transfer service.  Not all institutions offer secure document transfer. 

Electronic documents sent as PDF attachments may not be accepted as official.

For credentials from mainland China, CDGDC/CHESICC Official Verification Reports should be sent to

CDGDC Verification showing award for each degree:

China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC: 学位网)
B-17, Tongfang Scientific Plaza
No.1, Wangzhuang Road
Haidian District, Beijing 100083, P.R. China

CHESICC Verification for each transcript:

China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC: 学信网)

Baiyan Building, NO.238 Beisihuan Zhong Road
Haidian District
Beijing, P.R.China 100191

For credentials from India, please submit certified marksheets and certified Diploma (or Provisional Certificate, see note below) for each degree received.

Marksheets & Diploma

Certified copies of transcripts/marksheets and diploma/provisional certificate must be sent from your institution directly to:

Graduate School
University of Minnesota
Attn: Transcripts
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0421

If you cannot arrange to have marksheets sent in advance, you may bring original transcripts/marksheets & diploma/provisional certificate to our office for review when you arrive on campus.  However, your registration hold will not be removed in advance.

Provisional Certificate

For recently awarded degrees, a Provisional Certificate may be acceptable if it meets ALL of the following criteria:

  • the certificate was issued no more than two years ago
  • the name of the degree to be awarded is specified
  • the date of degree completion is shown
  • final division/placement is shown

Truecopy Credentials (Electronic Credentials)

Some institutions will send credentials through Truecopy/Parchment.  If sending your credentials in this manner, be sure to route them to gsquest@umn.eduDo not select the default "University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (or Duluth)"  as this will route your credentials to the Undergraduate Admissions Office instead of Graduate Admissions, and we will not receive them.

Institutions from countries that participate in the Bologna Process should provide the Diploma Supplement to all graduates. 

The Diploma Supplement (which includes coursework, grades, and degree verification) must be sent from your institution directly to:

Graduate School
University of Minnesota
Attn: Transcripts
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0421

Bologna-compliant countries include:

Azerbaijan Hungary Romania
Belarus Iceland Russian Federation
Belgium Ireland Serbia
Bosnia and Herzegovina Italy Slovak Republic
Bulgaria Liechtenstein Slovenia
Croatia Lithuania Spain
Cyprus Luxemborg Sweden
Czech Republic Malta Switzerland
Denmark Moldova Turkey
Finland Montenegro Ukraine
France Netherlands United Kingdom
Georgia North Macedonia
Germany Norway
Greece Poland
Holy See Portugal