Welcome to our short-list of GSDO resources for faculty and staff. It is not all-inclusive of the resources available to you, but it is a great place to start.
Diversity Working Groups Toolkit
Online resource list for faculty, staff, students, and postdocs leading the charge to create more equitable and inclusive communities within graduate education. This list includes useful resources for individuals and diversity committees, councils, or task-force groups designed to strategically enhance diversity recruitment and retention.
DIVERSITY RESOURCES TO SUPPORT GRADUATE EDUCATION
- UMN Resources:
- Equity & Diversity Certificate Program (OED)
- Faculty Fighting Racism (GSDO)
- Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life, Resources, Education, & Training (GSC)
- Gopher Equity Project
- Guide: Advising & Mentoring International Graduate Students (Graduate School, ISSS, CIGS)
- Improving Campus Climate
- Mapping Prejudice (Libraries)
- MCAE Advisor & Faculty Support (OED)
- Nonbinary Gender Pronouns for Writing (Center for Writing)
- President's Initiative for Student Mental Health (PRISMH)
- Provost’s Council for Student Mental Health (PCSMH)
- Racial Justice Resources (RIDGS)
- Supervisory Development Program (OHR)
- Teaching for Student Well-Being Program (CEI)
- Teaching with Access and Inclusion Program (CEI)
- The Gender Policy Report
- Women’s Center, Workshops & Consultations
- External Resources:
- AAC&U Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (TIDES) Institute
- Black Midwest Initiative
- CGS Social Justice Resources
- Creating and Sustaining a Diversity Committee (U Mass Boston, Clinical Psychology Program)
- DEI Resources for Faculty & Staff (U of Iowa, College of Engineering)
- DEI Strategic Plan (Carnegie Mellon, College of Humanities & Social Sciences)
- DEI Toolkit (U of Michigan, School of Social Work)
- Gender Pronouns (UW-Milwaukee, LGBTQ+ Resource Center)
- Land Grab Universities: Expropriated Indigenous Land is the Foundation of the Land-grant University System (2020)
- National Grad Crisis Line
- Report of the Brown University Steering Committee on Slavery and Justice (2006)
Faculty Fighting Racism
In 2020, the Graduate School Diversity Consultation Team launched Faculty Fighting Racism, an online, curated set of books, articles, videos, and podcasts for graduate faculty intended to serve as a first step in understanding what it means to be anti-racist. The website will be updated regularly with new content.
Learn how you can help us create a more diverse and inclusive graduate student body. The Diversity Recruitment Toolkit provides all of the information, resources, and guidance you’ll need to connect with prospective students from underrepresented groups and backgrounds.
Graduate School Diversity Recruitment
- Diversity Recruitment Toolkit for Faculty and Staff
- DOVE Fellowship
- Graduate School Recruitment Schedule
- National Diversity Conferences - examples
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemist & Chemical Engineers Conference (NoBCCHE)
- National Science of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
Learn how you can help us sustain a more diverse and inclusive graduate student body. Here you will find Diversity Retention initiatives and resources such as the Summer Institute (SI), Community of Scholars Program (COSP), graduate student data sources, and more.
Graduate faculty are encouraged to connect with the GSDO to explore strategic and sustainable approaches to enhanced recruitment and retention efforts for BIPOC and underrepresented graduate students.
Videos on Diversity
Watch video segments of U of M graduate students and postdoctoral researchers sharing perspectives and experiences regarding diversity and inclusivity in graduate education, with some segments followed by reflection questions.