What You Need to Know About the GRE
Many graduate programs require Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. GRE tests are administered through the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
ETS Instutition Codes for U of M campuses
- The ETS institution code for the Twin Cities and Rochester campuses is 6874.
- The ETS institution code for the Duluth campus is 6873.
- We recommend that applicants complete the GRE test several months before applying to a graduate program.
- Please note that the Educational Testing Service (ETS) will not forward GRE scores that are more than five years old. However, some graduate programs may accept GRE Examinee Score Reports that are more than five years old. For more information, please inquire with your program of interest.
- Some graduate programs require a GRE Subject Test, which is for students who have majored in or have extensive background in a specific area. For more information, please inquire with your program of interest.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks for ETS to deliver official scores to the University.
Official scores will appear in your application AFTER you submit the application and pay the fee.