Change Your Degree Objective or Major

Current (active) graduate students who wish to change their graduate major and/or degree level must submit a "Change of Status" application to the Office of Graduate Admissions.   There are two types of Change of Status applications.  Read below to determine which type of application you should submit.  

In all cases, start by contacting the program to which you are applying for information about program content, deadlines, and whether additional materials (such as GRE scores or letters of recommendation) are needed.

Complete the online application if you want to:

  • add a new (concurrent) program,
  • change to a different major,
  • change from a masters to doctoral degree level (with or without completing the current masters degree).

Complete the Change of Status Form if you want to: 

  • Change from a Ph.D. to a Master's in the same program.
  • Add, Remove or Change a track in your current major.

Submit the completed Change of Status Form to  No fee is required.  

If you have questions, please contact Graduate Admissions at 612-625-3014, or

Former students who are not currently active in a grad program, click here for information about Readmission.