What is a Fulbright Fellowship?
The purpose of the Fulbright program is to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Approximately 1,900 grants are available to over 140 countries. The award includes monthly stipends based on living costs in the host country, supplemental health and accident insurance, and book and research allowances. Round-trip transportation is also provided. Applications are available on the Fulbright Fellowship website. Students pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota must apply through the Graduate School Fellowship Office.
The application for the 2024-25 Fulbright U.S. Student Program competition is now closed and applications are under review with Fulbright.
The UMN campus deadline for 2025-26 graduate student applications will be announced in summer 2024.
Who Is Eligible?
Applicants must be U.S. citizens and have earned a Bachelor's degree prior to their participation in the program. An application may be made to only one country.
If you are interested in learning more or intend to apply, please fill out this form.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants to a Study/Research Award must submit the following documents for both the UMN internal review for Endorsement and for the Fulbright Competition:
- Application form
- Statement of proposed study or research that makes a stay in the country of application essential
- Letter of invitation from a faculty member at a university, institute, laboratory, or archive
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation from professors in the applicant's field of study
- Foreign language evaluation, if applicable
- Transcripts of all post-secondary studies
Selection criteria is based on:
- Record of outstanding academic achievement
- Clearly defined research proposal and the necessity for conducting the research in the foreign country
- Language proficiency as required by the foreign country
For more information about the Fulbright Fellowship, including the application process or for more information about an English Teaching Assistant Award or Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowship in Public Health, visit the Fulbright Fellowship website. If you have questions, please contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office.