Graduate School Diversity Office Summer Institute
The Graduate School Diversity Office (GSDO) Summer Institute provides seven weeks of research opportunity for newly-admitted graduate students.
2020 Summer Institute: July 13-August 28, 2020
The Graduate School Diversity Office (GSDO) Summer Institute (SI) provides a seven week summer bridge program, on the Twin Cities campus, for newly-admitted UMN-TC graduate students.
SI 2020 will be hosted online this year
Recipients of the Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship, Creating Inclusive Cohorts (CIC) Training Program, and select newly-admitted domestic graduate students of color who are awarded fellowships through their college or department can participate when nominated by their Director of Graduate Studies.Each participant receives a $4,000 stipend and (optional) health insurance coverage over the summer provided by their graduate program or department.
- Orientation to the GSDO and UMN-TC community and services
- Weekly seminars on acclimating to and successfully navigating graduate school
- Social activities with SI Peer Mentors and SI Cohort community building
- Research with a Faculty Mentor (who is identified by the student prior to the start of SI)
- This may entail joining an existing research project, beginning the first steps of a new research project, performing a literature review for a potential future research project, etc.
- SI students are not expected to start and complete an entire research project during the seven weeks, rather this is an opportunity to gain research experience in preparation for the work they will do in their graduate programs
- Short research paper and presentation
- Community engagement and GSDO activities during 2020-2021 academic year