What is the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship?
The Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship (DDF) gives the University's most accomplished Ph.D. candidates an opportunity to devote full-time effort to an outstanding research project by providing time to finalize and write a dissertation during the fellowship year.
The award includes a stipend of $25,000 for the academic year (September-May), tuition for up to 14 thesis credits each semester (Fall & Spring), and subsidized health insurance through the Graduate Assistant Health Plan.
Who Is Eligible?
Programs may nominate Ph.D. candidates if the nominee:
- will have passed the written and oral preliminary examinations by February 24, 2021.
- will have completed all program coursework by the end of spring semester 2021 (Nominee may be registered for program coursework in spring 2021, but may not have any incompletes in program coursework at the time of nomination.).
- is expected to graduate in 2022.
Additional Nomination ConsiderationsIn all cases, the DGS should establish that the nominee is making timely degree progress. The DGS will need to provide a calculation of time in degree. This calculation should not include time away for approved leave of absences.
- If, in 2021-22, the nominee will be entering his/her sixth year or later of study* in the nominating program, the DGS must provide justification for the length of time, or otherwise demonstrate the student's scholarly productivity.
*For the purpose of this nomination, the "year of study" for 2021-22 is defined as the time the nominee has been enrolled in the nominating graduate program, regardless of degree objective, excluding time that he/she was on an approved leave of absence.
The deadline for programs to nominate is noon (CST), Wednesday, February 24, 2021.
For more information about internal review and nomination procedures, please contact your Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) or designated program support staff. If you have additional questions, contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office.
How Do I Nominate Students?
- The DGS or designated program support staff will need to complete an electronic nomination for each DDF nominee.
- The form will open after colleges distribute nomination slots.
- Programs should check with their college to determine how many nominations they may submit.
- Each nomination is uploaded by program staff, as a single PDF to the electronic nomination form, and must include:
Accessing the Electronic Form
- Create a Program Login to access the nomination form:
- Create one username/password to upload all program nominations.
- If more than one staff person will be viewing/updating program nominations (e.g., DGS and PLC), be sure to create a username/password that can be shared.
- Create the First Electronic Nomination:
- Go to the electronic nomination form (log-in), complete the required fields, and upload a PDF of the nomination. Select either SAVE/UPDATE or SUBMIT.
- SAVE/UPDATE - You will remain in the form and may continue editing.
- SUBMIT - You will exit the form. A nomination confirmation email will be sent to the DGS and to the support staff indicated on the electronic form.
- Both options will save the nomination, overwriting any previously saved/submitted information, and enable Graduate School staff to access the information.
- Both options will allow program staff to continue editing the nomination until the application deadline.
- Faculty reviewers will not view saved/submitted information until after the nomination deadline.
- Add Additional Nominations or Update Existing Nominations:
- Programs may continue to edit the nomination until the nomination deadline.
- To add additional nominations after creating the first record, log-in as "Returning User" and select "START NEW" at the top of the page.
- To update existing nominations, log-in as "Returning User" and select "Edit" to the left of the nomination.
- Confirm receipt of the nomination:
- Log-in and select SUBMIT at the bottom of the form. An email will be sent to the Director of Graduate Studies and to the support staff indicated on the electronic form.