What is a Fulbright Fellowship?
The purpose of the Fulbright program is to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Approximately 1,900 grants are available to over 140 countries. The award includes monthly stipends based on living costs in the host country, supplemental health and accident insurance, and book and research allowances. Round-trip transportation is also provided. Applications are available on the Fulbright Fellowship website. Students pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota must apply through the Graduate School Fellowship Office.
The application for the 2023-24 Fulbright Fellowship is now open! Click here to access the application. Please contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office with questions.
The UMN campus deadline for 2023-34 applications is Wednesday, August 24, 2022 by 12:00pm CT. Following this deadline, students will have on-campus interviews with a Fulbright faculty committee in early- to mid-September.
Who Is Eligible?
Applicants must be U.S. citizens and have earned a Bachelor's degree prior to their participation in the program. An application may be made to only one country.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants must submit a Notification of Intent to Apply, which includes:
- Application form
- Statement of proposed study or research that makes a stay in the country of application essential
- Letter of invitation from a faculty member at a university, institute, laboratory, or archive
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation from professors in the applicant's field of study
- Foreign language evaluation, if applicable
- Transcripts of all post-secondary studies
Selection criteria is based on:
- Record of outstanding academic achievement
- Clearly defined research proposal and the necessity for conducting the research in the foreign country
- Language proficiency as required by the foreign country
For more information about the Fulbright Fellowship, including the application process, visit the Fulbright Fellowship website. If you have questions, please contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office.