11.17.2020 at 10:00am - 4:00pm
Did you know that the University of Minnesota has more than 200 graduate and professional degree programs?
It’s not too early to start exploring Graduate School!
This virtual conference and graduate fair offers current University of Minnesota undergraduate students with an opportunity to explore the possibilities of what a graduate education can provide for their future academic and career goals.
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Conference: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Graduate Fair: 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Virtual/Online Participation
Download Flyer (PDF)
Why should you attend?
- Better understand graduate education and explore career paths that can be pursued with an advanced degree.
- Meet faculty, staff and representatives from the Graduate School, Graduate School Diversity Office, and graduate programs, and programs on the Duluth campus.
- Learn about the application process and funding your graduate education.
- Attend workshops on graduate communities, services, and resources, as well as summer undergraduate research opportunities.
- Meet current graduate students from diverse student organizations and learn about their UMN graduate experiences.
- Explore Graduate Fair opportunities to visit with graduate programs, and graduate student organizations, research programs and units.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Scott Lanyon, Ph.D., Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Education
- Yoji Shimizu, Ph.D., Graduate School Associate Dean & Director of Graduate School Diversity Office
- (11:10-11:50 a.m.)
What is Graduate Education? Applying, funding, and choosing the right program
Presenter: Jim Rowan, Assistant Director, Graduate Admissions
- (11:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Community Building in Graduate School and Resources for Success
Presenters: Cori Bazemore James, Ph.D. & Maija Brown, Ph.D., Graduate School Diversity Office
Concurrent Breakout Sessions I & II
1:00-2:00 p.m. (45 minutes presentations + 15 minutes Q&A)
- Session I: Get involved in Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Moderator: Derek Maness
- Anthony Albecker, Trio McNair Scholars Program
- Heidi Fahning, Multicultural Summer Research Opportunities Program (MSROP & UROP)
- Phil Engen, Material Research Science and Engineering Centers Summer Research Programs - CSE (MRSEC)
- Ned Patterson, Ph.D., Health Sciences Pathways to Research Program (PReP)
- Kendra Strickland, Life Science Summer Undergraduate Research Program (LSSURP)
- Session II: Connecting with Graduate Student Leaders
- Moderator: Cori Bazemore-James, Ph.D.
- Panelists - COSP-Affiliated Student Org Leaders:
- Jonas Alvarez, Association of Multicultural Scientist (AMS)
- Madison Anderson, Society for Native American and Indigenous Graduate Students (SNAIGS)
- Ty Frazier, Council for the Advancement of Underrepresented Scientist and Engineering (CAUSE)
- Becky Rodriguez, Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanic and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Ralph White, Black Graduate and Professional Student Association (BGAPSA)
Graduate Fair Highlights:
U OF MN – TWIN CITIES & DULUTH (as of 11/10)
- Carlson School of Management
- Center for Spirituality & Healing
- College of Biological Sciences
- College of Continuing and Professional Studies
- College of Design
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resources Sciences
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Pharmacy
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Medical School
- School of Law
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
- School of Public Affairs
- College of Education and Human Service Professions
- College of Liberal Arts (Duluth)
- Labovitz School of Business and Economics
- Swenson College of Science and Engineering
RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES & STUDENT GROUPS (as of 11/10)
- Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research
- CSTI (Health Sciences) Pathways to Research Program (PrEP)
- Office of Biomedical Graduate Research, Education and Training
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center
- Pharmaceutics Summer Research
- Pharmacy Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
- School of Dentistry - Summer Research Fellowship Program
- Black Graduate and Professional Students Association
- Computer Science & Engineering Graduate Student Association
Contact Chee Kue Lee: email@example.com