Student Visa Requirements for Graduate Admissions
Applying for Your Student Visa
After you’ve been accepted to the University of Minnesota, you must apply for a student visa. Most students (including those with an assistantship) require an F-1 student visa, which in turn requires an I-20 document issued by our office.
Instructions on How to Receive Your I-20
- Submit the Enrollment Form to confirm your intent to enroll at the U of M. You will find a link to this form on your application status page after you have been admitted.
- After confirming enrollment, you will be able to submit the I-20 Request form. You will find a link to this form on your application status page after you have been admitted. ALL international students must complete the I-20 Request form, including those with funding awards and those transferring from another school inside the United States.
- Wait approximately 2 weeks so that we can prepare your I-20.
- When your document is ready, you will receive an email notification. You'll access and download a PDF copy of your I-20 from your application portal.
While You Wait for Your I-20
I-20 Transfer Process
If you currently hold an F-1 visa from another institution, you must request a transfer of your SEVIS record to the University of Minnesota. Follow the steps below to transfer your SEVIS record.
Contact the International Student Advisor at Your Current School
You and your advisor will determine your “Transfer Release Date.” Before deciding your release date, consider the following:
- Our office cannot access your SEVIS record or prepare an I-20 for you until AFTER your release date.
- The processing time for an I-20 is about one week AFTER your release date.
- You cannot enroll for classes or begin working on the U of M campus until AFTER your release date and AFTER your U of M I-20 has been issued.
Provide Your Current Advisor with the Full Name and SEVIS School Code for the University of Minnesota Campus You Will Attend
We recommend printing this page or sharing this URL with your advisor to ensure that your record is transferred to the correct school in SEVIS.
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: SPM214F00039000
- University of Minnesota-Duluth: SPM214F00039001