Join us as we celebrate the contributions of our graduate and professional students!
Graduate Student Appreciation Week, sponsored by the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students, is designed to raise awareness of the role of graduate and professional students within America’s colleges and universities.
The impact of graduate and professional students stretches beyond academia through their practical and significant work as future teaching professionals, breakthrough researchers, healthcare pioneers, business innovators, legendary artists, and leaders of the state, the nation and the world.
The University of Minnesota will celebrate the contributions of its more than 14,000 graduate and professional students during the week of April 3. Join us for some of the activities going on this week, and show your appreciation for the contributions of our graduate and professional students!
Do you know of additional activities not mentioned below? Let us know!
Taco Tuesday! Lunch (with a side of networking)
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023 | 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Coffman Memorial Union, Great Hall
- More information >
Bowling and Games
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023 | 6-9 p.m.
- Coffman Memorial Union, Goldy’s Gameroom
- Sponsored by Council of Graduate Students (COGS)
- Free appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages
- Alcoholic beverages available for purchase
- Learn more and register
College of Liberal Arts, Office of Research and Graduate Programs
Explore CLA Grad Career Services
- Thursday, April 6, 2023 | 11:00 a.m.
- Learn about how CLA’s Graduate Programs support the career needs of CLA’s graduate students
- Learn more and register
College of Pharmacy, Twin Cities and Duluth
- Friday, April 7, 2023 | 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Twin Cities: Moos 1-450 | Duluth: 160 LSci
- Food and beverages served at 8:30 a.m.
- Professional headshots available from 8:30-11:30 a.m. in TC and 9:30-10:00 a.m. in Duluth
- This event is for Graduate Students only, an event for Professional Students is forthcoming
- Please RSVP and sign-up for a headshot no later than Thursday, March 30
For all you do to make UMD a great place to be, the Graduate Student Association has planned the following events to celebrate students in graduate and professional programs in the Graduate School (Duluth Campus) this week:
Monday April 3rd: Understanding Financial Offers
Join us in Kirby Ballroom from 4 - 5pm to learn from financial professionals about financial offers from employers. How do I negotiate my salary? What are good benefits? Retirement? Vacation and PTO? Sick leave?
Tuesday April 4th: SERU & Sweets
Stop by the Garden Room from 11am - 1pm with your laptop to take the gradSERU and enjoy some sweet treats. GradSERU is a university-wide survey about all aspects of the graduate school experience. The survey takes about half an hour and provides the university, and more importantly, future students with information about what it is like to be a graduate or professional student at UMD. Your feedback is crucial for the continuous improvement of graduate education at the University.
Wednesday April 5th: 2nd-Year Graduate Student Reception
In the Kirby Ballroom starting at 6pm we will be hosting the first annual 2nd-Year Graduate Student Reception! Coming up with a name was tough, but this is a special reception to celebrate those graduating in spring or summer 2023. Here we will present the first ever Outstanding Graduate Student Award! This event is open only to graduating students who have already responded.
Thursday April 6th: Hoops Brewing Happy Hour
Thursday evening join GSA for a happy hour and pizza (while it lasts) at Hoops Brewing! We are hoping to have food around 6pm, and it's vinyl night at Hoops, so get ready for some groovy tunes!
Friday April 7th: Appreciation Week Wrap-up
Remember that form we had you fill out about Grad Student hang out spots on campus? Well this is why! We will be coming around during the day with a cart full of fun stuff, FUSE Duluth promos, and GSA info.