Nominations are currently being sought for service on the Graduate School Advisory Board (GSAB). The Graduate School Advisory Board is the principal advisory body at the University of Minnesota for graduate education and postdoctoral training, and plays a critical role in guiding and assessing strategic initiatives in graduate education and postdoctoral training at the University. The GSAB focuses on issues of institutional, national, and global importance and best practices in graduate education and postdoctoral training; and advises the vice provost and dean of graduate education on related matters. Board members serve as representatives of, and advocates for, graduate education and postdoctoral training to the internal University and external communities.
Nominees should have demonstrated experience in graduate education and/or postdoctoral training, and an interest in helping to advance the strategic priorities of the Graduate School and the work of the Graduate School Advisory Board. Self-nominations are welcomed and encouraged.
The roles and responsibilities of GSAB members are to:
- assist the GSAB co-chairs to identify and prioritize issues and concerns for GSAB discussion and deliberation in the upcoming academic year in order to advise on best practice and standards of excellence in graduate education and postdoctoral training;
- advise the vice provost and dean of graduate education on the development of new, and assessment of existing, graduate education and postdoctoral training initiatives and programs;
- be informed about the Graduate School mission, services, initiatives and programs in order to effectively serve as ambassadors and advocates for graduate education and postdoctoral training;
- facilitate communication between the Graduate School and colleges, programs, and other units on issues of importance in graduate education and postdoctoral training, bringing constituent feedback and insights on Graduate School initiatives to the GSAB for discussion and deliberation;
- attend and participate in scheduled meetings and other GSAB events/functions; serve on GSAB subcommittees as needed;
- assist with the identification and recruitment of new advisory board members.
Eligibility and Deadline
We are seeking nominations for service on the GSAB from:
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty with graduate education responsibility
- Staff with graduate education responsibility
- Graduate students from research-based master’s and doctoral programs
- Postdoctoral associates (9546) and postdoctoral fellows (9560)
Faculty and staff will serve three-year terms. Postdocs and graduate students will serve one-year terms. Appointments will be announced later this spring with terms for new members beginning in fall 2021. Additional information on eligibility, terms of service and meeting schedule can be found in the GSAB charge.
Please submit your nomination form outlining the nominee's interests and qualifications no later than Monday, April 12. If you have questions, please contact Char Voight (email@example.com).