The resources and links below correspond with GEAR 1 modules. Bookmark this page so you can use it whenever you need it!
- Download an accessible PDF of GEAR 1 (recommended for screen readers).
- Questions or concerns? Don't hesitate to contact us.
Important COVID-19 resources
- Explore the Safe Campus website for important campus health information.
- Find services and technologies for working and learning off campus.
- For University of Minnesota Twin Cities: Boynton Health clinic and service updates.
- For University of Minnesota Duluth: campus and operational updates.
- Updates for international students on Twin Cities and Duluth campuses.
- Explore Graduate School FAQs.
Module 1: Welcome to the University of Minnesota
Acknowledgment of University Land
University Groups and Resources
First Steps Checklist
Activate Your Internet ID and Email Address
Explore One Stop
Get to Know International Student Services
For Duluth students: International Student Online Orientation (mandatory for all incoming UMD international students)
For Twin Cities students: International Student Preparatory Course (mandatory for all incoming UMN international students)
Confirm Your Health Insurance Coverage
Learn How to Register for Courses
Plan to Get a U Card
University of Minnesota Campuses
University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD)
University of Minnesota Rochester (UMR)
University of Minnesota Twin Cities (UMTC)
University Structure and Roles
Important University Policies and Procedures
Graduate School Objectives
Preventing and Reporting Sexual Misconduct
Public and Campus Safety
Module 2: Minnesota Life
Get to Know Minnesota Culture
Module 3: Tuition and Funding
Tuition, Fees, and Cost of Attendance
Financial Aid and Budgeting Links
Fellowships and Other Funding Resources
Graduate Assistant Resources
Teaching Assistants (TAs)
Research Assistants (RAs)
How Do I Find a Graduate Assistantship?
Graduate Assistant Payment and Taxes
Graduate Assistant Policies and Best Practices
Graduate Assistant Work Rules
Health Benefit Plans
Module 4: Being a Graduate Student
Imposter Syndrome, Stress and Time Management
Module 5: Your Health and Wellness
Module 6: Planning After Year 1
Continuing Your Individual Development Plan (IDP)
Applying for Fellowships and Grants
Exploring Research Topics
As a graduate student, you can access free subscriptions with the following online assessment tools for academic and professional development: