IMPORTANT NOTE: The information on this website is for research-based graduate programs only. Information regarding the Provost's Professional Diversity Fellowship 2019-2020 can be found here. For a list of graduate and professional programs, please refer to the Provost's website.
What is the DOVE Fellowship?
The Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship Program seeks to assist graduate programs to promote a diversity of views, experiences, and ideas in the pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative excellence. This diversity is promoted through the recruitment and support of academically excellent students with diverse ethnic, racial, economic, and educational backgrounds and experiences as suggested in the review/selection consideration list. Programs are encouraged to consider students from groups that have been underrepresented in their graduate programs.
Approximately fifteen fellowships are available. The award includes a stipend of $25,000, academic-year tuition at the general graduate rate for up to 14 credits per semester, subsidized health insurance, and dental care for the academic year and for summer 2020. Note: Fellows are responsible for all other fees or charges and tuition beyond 14 credits (general graduate rate).
U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents entering a graduate program at the University of Minnesota for the first time in the 2019-2020 academic year may be nominated. Students who have already earned a terminal degree are not eligible (such as M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D. etc.). Students need not have been admitted at the time of nomination, but they must have applied and be admissible under the graduate program’s standards. Recipients must be admitted to a graduate program as a degree-seeking student by fall semester 2019.
Programs can nominate up to 2 students.
Program Nomination deadline:
4:30 p.m., February 7, 2019
Students who wish to be nominated must contact the Director of Graduate Studies in advance.
The nomination is uploaded by program staff, as a single PDF to the electronic nomination form, and must include:
- Nomination letter from the Director of Graduate Studies
- Nominee's narrative statement on career objectives
- Nominee's narrative statement on how their background, experiences, and achievements will contribute to the University's goal of promoting excellence through diversity. If applicable, nominees should mention hardships or obstacles that they have overcome to complete their undergraduate education (e.g., coming from a low-income background or being the first-generation college student). Although the Diversity Statement (Statement #2) in the Graduate School online application fulfills this requirement, nominees are encouraged to provide a unique narrative statement specifically for the DOVE nomination.
- Two letters of recommendation. A program can determine which letters of recommendation they wish submit with the DOVE nomination. The letters could be those submitted with the nominee's graduate school application, or recommendation letters written specifically for the DOVE.
The nomination letter from the Director of Graduate Studies is particularly important.
The letter should describe aspects of the nominee’s record or interests not readily discernible from the application itself - e.g. a description of the research interests and the match with a potential adviser’s research, an appraisal of the undergraduate college or department, etc. At a minimum, the letter should:
- Summarize the nominee’s preparation, suitability, and high academic potential for success in the graduate program. Please confirm that the nominee has completed formal graduate program admission requirements.
- Summarize the current admissions status of the nominee.
- Assess the overall qualifications of the nominee relative to other applicants to the graduate program.
- Describe how the nominee’s background, experiences and achievements will contribute to the University’s goal of promoting excellence through diversity
- Describe the financial support that the nominating graduate program will provide to the nominee for the duration of the nominee’s graduate work after the DOVE fellowship year.
- Confirm that the program will provide the $4000 stipend for the nominee’s participation in the DOVE Summer Institute
- Confirm that the program will provide a minimum of $1000 in financial support for research and conference travel.
- Indicate any missing documents, such as a letter of recommendation, and the date by which it will be forwarded to the Graduate School Diversity Office. Be advised, however, that missing documentation at the time review begins may result in an unfavorable decision.
It is expected that nominees will complete all required undergraduate coursework prior to entry to the graduate program.
Create a Program Login to access the nomination form:
- Create a username/password to upload the program nomination.
- If more than one staff person will be viewing/updating the nomination (e.g., DGS and DGS Assistant), be sure to create a username/password that can be shared.
Create the Electronic Nomination:
- In the electronic nomination form, complete the required fields, and upload a PDF of the nomination. Select either SAVE/UPDATE or SUBMIT.
- SAVE/UPDATE - You will remain in the form and may continue editing.
- SUBMIT - You will exit the form. A nomination confirmation email will be sent to the DGS and to the support staff indicated on the electronic form.
- Both options will save the nomination, overwriting any previously saved/submitted information, and enable Graduate School staff to access the information.
- Both options will allow program staff to continue editing the nomination until the application deadline.
- Faculty reviewers will not view saved/submitted information until after the nomination deadline.
- To update existing nomination, log in as "Returning User" to edit.
- Selecting the SAVE/UPDATE button or the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the screen will save your nomination information, overwriting any previous information.
Confirm Receipt of the Nomination:
- Log in and select SUBMIT at the bottom of the form. An email will be sent to the Director of Graduate Studies and to the support staff indicated on the electronic form.
DOVE Travel Funds:
The DOVE Fellowship Program includes a travel program. The fellowships and travel awards are designed to assist graduate programs in enhancing diversity within their programs.
The Graduate School Diversity Office has limited funds to assist with the expense of bringing up to two of your fellowship nominees to campus for a visit. Graduate programs do not have to wait until after submission of their nominations to request travel funds. Travel funds will pay for up to $400 of transportation expenses only on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The travel request form can be completed at: https://z.umn.edu/2019-20DOVETravel
Please direct questions about the fellowship or the travel funds programs to 612-625-6858 or firstname.lastname@example.org.