What is the Torske Klubben Fellowship for Norwegian Citizens?

The Torske Klubben, founded in 1933, is a Minneapolis luncheon club of Norwegian heritage who are deeply interested in Norway and Norwegian-American history and relationships. The organization funds University of Minnesota graduate fellowships for Norwegian citizens, as well as this award for Minnesota residents who have an interest in or connection with Norway and/or its culture. The overarching goal of the fellowship program is supporting future leaders. A stipend of $16,000 for the academic year, plus tuition for up to 14 credits per semester.

Who Is Eligible?

Torske Klubben applicants must be admitted to the University of Minnesota Graduate School. They can apply to pursue a degree at the U of M or apply for Professional Development Coursework (PDC). Those electing PDC will take courses at the U of M but receive their degree from a Norwegian University. Note: if applying for PDC, contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office before starting the application for admission.

How Do I Apply? 

  • Start a Graduate School application for admission.
  • Submit the application. All materials required by the prospective program and the Graduate School must be received before final action will be taken on the admission application.
  • If pursuing a degree, applicants should be aware that many programs require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), including the subject test. However, most programs do not require the GRE if pursuing PDC. 
  • Complete, in English, and return the Torske Klubben application to gsfellow@umn.edu (Graduate School Fellowship Office) by the deadline. Letters of recommendation (also in English) should be signed and on letterhead, and sent directly to the Fellowship Office. Since the application for admission requires official transcripts, there is no need to send additional transcripts for the fellowship competition.

Applications are not currently being accepted. Please continue to check this page for updates.

Further Information

If you have questions, please contact the Graduate School Fellowship Office.