What is the Graduate Student & Postdoctoral Alliance for Diversity & Inclusivity?
The Alliance is a graduate-student-and postdoc-led initiative intended to provide opportunities for all graduate students and postdoctoral researchers to work collaboratively on issues that support diversity and inclusion through education, advocacy, networking, discussion, recognition, and celebration.
What Does the Alliance Do?
- We focus on community engagement by serving as role models and mentoring undergraduate students and youth from diverse backgrounds.
- We hold monthly forums to discuss issues that impact the experiences of graduate students and postdoctoral researchers related to diversity and inclusion, and create a calendar of topics to be addressed.
- We host speakers who address topics of interest to the Alliance members as part of a forum or a separate event.
- We explicitly encourage the creation of relatively local groups of friends/allies who work within a department or group of allied departments to support each other in anti-oppression work.
- We facilitate the centralization of resources that support diversity and inclusion.
- identify best practices to advance diversity and inclusion and advocate for their adoption by faculty, staff and students.